The aftermath

Jan Boellaard and Martin Erkamps were arrested soon after the invasion of the shed. The other three kidnappers managed to escape. Frans Meijer spent several weeks in Amsterdam, but turned himself in on December 28th. Willem Holleeder and Cor van Hout fled to Paris. They stayed in an apartment several months but were arrested by the French police on February 29, 1984.

Van Hout and his lawyer Max Moszkowicz sr.

Since they were placed in one of the toughest prisons in Europe, they wanted to be extradited to the Netherlands as soon as possible. Their lawyers advised not to agree to the extradition. There was no extradition treaty for detention and extortion between France and the Netherlands at that time. The two kidnappers could only be extradited based on written death threats. After a long extradition procedure, the Conseil d’ État eventually ruled that France could not extradite or judge the two men. As they were given a residence permit, they stayed under house arrest in French hotels from December 6, 1985.

In February 1986, France wanted to transfer the kidnappers to Guadeloupe. But once on the plane, it turned out that from Guadeloupe they would extradite them to the Dutch side of Saint Martin. The kidnappers refused to fly to Saint Martin, which eventually brought them to Saint-Barthélemy. The population of this island revolted because they didn’t want criminals to be transferred to their island. The population got so angry that it wasn’t safe for the kidnappers to stay on the island. They were transferred to the French side of Saint Martin, but they faced the same problems with the population here. At night they fled to Tintamarre. Tintamarre is an uninhabited island in the Caribbean and is located about three kilometers from Saint Martin. The next day they were brought back to Guadeloupe and from there to Evry in France where they stayed in several hotels. The Netherlands asked for extradition again. As a result, the French police arrested the two kidnappers, which brought them back to the tough French prison. Van Hout and Holleeder decided to resist the extradition no longer. In October 1986, almost two years after the abduction, they were extradited to the Netherlands.

Van Hout and Holleeder in trial.

Martin Erkamps was sentenced to eight years in prison in October 1984. Jan Boellaard was sentenced to 12 years in prison. Van Hout and Holleeder were sentenced to 11 years in prison in February 1987. Because the earlier extradition was withdrawn by France, they could not be brought to trial for the indictment ‘written death threats’. This resulted in 1 year in prison less than Boellaard. The time they had been held in France, and the time that they had house arrest was deducted from their prison sentence.

Frans Meijer was given a psychiatric examination. He escaped from the mental hospital on January 1, 1985. Without his presence he was sentenced to 12 years in prison later that year. In 1994 he was found by crime reporter Peter R. de Vries in Paraguay. Meijer had started a family here. In 1998 he was arrested in Paraguay and 4 years later extradited to the Netherlands. After his release in 2005 he returned to Paraguay.

Read more… The ransom